The 231163 Diaries:
Richard Nixon.



Politics Richard Nixon was President of the United States between 1969 and 1974. 

"That night I sat up late in my library," he says in his memoir, "Long after the fire had gone out I wrote a letter to Jacqueline Kennedy. 

Judging by the date, it was past midnight.

Richard M. Nixon
810 Fifth Avenue
New York, N.Y. 10021

November 23

Dear Jackie,

In this tragic hour Pat and I want you to know that our thoughts and prayers are with you.

While the hand of fate made Jack and me political opponents I always cherished the fact that we were personal friends from the time we came to the Congress together in 1947. That friendship evidenced itself in many ways including the invitation we received to attend your wedding.

Nothing I could say now could add to the splendid tributes which have come from throughout the world to him.

But I want you to know that the nation will also be forever grateful for your service as First Lady. You brought to the White House charm, beauty and elegance as the official hostess for America, and the mystique of the young in heart which was uniquely yours made an indelible impression on the American consciousness.

If in the days ahead we could be helpful in any way we shall be honored to be at your command.

Sincerely,
Dick Nixon.

Nixon's memoir then prints Jackie's reply (although no date is given):

Dear Mr Vice President -

I do thank you for your thoughtful letter.

You two young men - colleagues in Congress - adversaries in 1960 - and now look what has happened.  Whoever thought such a hideous thing could happen in this country.

I know how you must feel - so long on the path - so closely missing the greatest prize - and now for you all the question comes up again - and you must commit all you and your family's hopes and efforts again.  Just one thing I would say to you - if it does not work out as you have hoped for so long - please be consoled by what you already have - your life and your family,

We never value life when we have it - and I would have have had Jack live his life any other way - though I know his death could have been prevented, and I will never cease to torture myself with that.

But if you do not win - please think of all that you have.  With my appreciation and my regards to your family.  I hope your daughters love Chapin School as much as I did.

Sincerelym
Jacqueline Kennedy.

[Source:  NIXON, Richard M.  1988.  RN: The Memoirs of Richard Nixon.  Easton Press.]

No comments: