The Davros Theory of Doctor Who Casting

TV If you'll indulge me, Resurrection of the Daleks is the inspiration for my Davros theory of who can play Doctor Who. When the new series was announced I realised that the best way to decide whether someone is good enough to 'wear the scarf' was to imagine them in a room with Davros. If they could win a shouting or glaring contest with the 'genius' or at the very least outwit him, then he was going to be fine doing anything else.

So of course I'd disregarded Alan Davies straight away with his weedy voice and disconcerting manner...

Alan: See thing is what I don't understand is why you keep going aroun' y'know doin' these things.
Davros: BECAUSE I AM DAVROS! I AM A GENIUS! MY DALEKS WILL BECOME THE SUPREME RULERS OF THE UN-I-VERSE!
Alan: Right. Hmm. I don't 'spose you just couldn't. Y'know.

But as soon as Christopher Eccleston was announced. Yep. Made sense. In fact if you look at Dalek, that scene with the, well, Dalek -- that's pretty much what I had in mind. When you've got that presence in the room, you need someone who can overpower it.

I think David Tennant has the same mojo too. But his key weapon is sarcasm. The only reason that Davros has any power is if people believe he's scary and can do some very bad things indeed. If he's being put down or his foe doesn't believe that he has the capacity he tends to crumple. A quick quip about Stannah Stairlifts and the battle will be won.

Or something like that.

No comments: