Woody Allen's signed with Amazon.

Film You will have read the news but just to record it here for posterity, Woody Allen's signed with Amazon to write and direct a series for them.

"I don't know how I got into this," says in the press release I received about it. "I have no ideas and I'm not sure where to begin."

Well, quite. It's not his first television work of course. That would be, most prominently and least promisingly, his version of Don't Drink The Water starring himself and Michael J Fox for HBO which I reviewed here. Which isn't especially promising.

Does this mean that for the first time in decades there won't be a new film in 2016, breaking an unbroken run of annual releases since Annie Hall in 1977? Or will he manage to fit this in and a theatrical release?

What form will it take?  Will it be one story across multiple episodes or my guess which is some kind of anthology series based on his previous writing (so as to keep it distinctive from the Whit Stillman series).

Presumably they're just throwing some money at him and seeing what he'll come up with.  Either way, it's deeply exciting.

No comments: