Core Mumblers.

Film I'm currently in the midst of watching my way through all the films listed on the Wikipedia page for mumblecore films and I'll talk some more about it when I've watched everything which is available (and there's plenty available on Netflix). On the occasion of the release of proponent Andrew Bujalski's new film Computer Chess, Ryan Gilbey outlines some of mumblecore's features and considers whether it really existed as a genre at all:
"It doesn't mean anything to me," says Bujalski, whose 2002 film Funny Ha Ha was the first mumblecore work (though the influences stretch back past British movies such as The Low Down and Bronco Bullfrog and into Cassavetes and Rohmer). Swanberg recalls a time when it seemed to be gaining momentum. "In summer 2007 the IFC Centre [in New York] did a mumblecore retrospective and it felt very much like a big deal," he says. "Years later it became crushingly clear to me that few people had heard of mumblecore. It was never a unified movement. There was no manifesto."
Certainly, there's no formal connection and it's possible to also see the features in some of Richard Link... no wait, when I'm done. Later, yes. Ok. Right.  Now, when.  No.  Yes.

No comments: