"You don’t have to backfill it."

Links I was in the supermarket earlier and as my copy of The Observer with the photo of Neil Armstrong passed through the checkout, the clerk began reminiscencing about watching the moon landing with her mother. I told I wasn'y born then. "You lucky thing!" She grinned. Then I mused in that way that sometimes happens when you don't think about what you're about to say before you say it that I sometimes wish that I'd been alive to see it. I said that I'd seen Haley's Comet and the various shuttle missions but the moon landings were the one. Only as I was walking away did I realised I would now also have to be at least ten years older and I don't want that. Being a child of the seventies has been very good to me.

BuzzFeed with a press pass: What happens when the GIF kings try to take Washington?
“I’ve written stories that are several thousand words,” said John Stanton, who heads up BuzzFeed’s new Washington bureau, which opened in July and is the closest thing to a physical manifestation of the site’s expansionist plans. “I’ve also written stories that are 300 words. If something doesn’t deserve more than 300 words, you can just write it. You don’t have to backfill it.”

Doctor Who spin-off writer (and one time editor of the BBC Books range) Steve Cole talks to The Guardian's podcasts about that and and his range of children's books.

Typically intelligent interview from Art of the Title with David Fincher in which they manage to have him answer some questions about Alien3. This sections from earlier though:
" The sequence for Se7en did very important non-narrative things; in the original script there was a title sequence that had Morgan Freeman buying a house out in the middle of nowhere and then travelling back on a train. He was making his way back to the unnamed city from the unnamed suburban sprawl, and that’s where the title was supposed to be — “insert title sequence here” — but we didn’t have the money to do that. We also lacked the feeling of John Doe, the villain, who just appeared 90 minutes into the movie. It was oddly problematic, you just needed a sense of what these guys were up against."

No comments: