the forefront of the information age

Science One of the key lectures I remember from my 90s Information Studies degree was about how in the future, people would stop bothering to remember trivia because thanks to libraries and computers it would just be there. The tutor was supposed to placing our potential work into context, make us feel as like we were going to be at the forefront of the information age, as important as teachers, scientists and the like.

Even though within a few years, Google and Wikpedia rendered obsolete about eighty percent of what I was taught on that degree, but it seems some of it has finally become relevant and this ars technica article looks like someone has stolen the lecture notes I think I still keep hidden in the bottom of my wardrobe (which is what along with under the bed is what people in flats have instead of an attic):
"In the age of Google and Wikipedia, an almost unlimited amount of information is available at our fingertips, and with the rise of smartphones, many of us have nonstop access. The potential to find almost any piece of information in seconds is beneficial, but is this ability actually negatively impacting our memory? The authors of a paper that is being released by Science Express describe four experiments testing this. Based on their results, people are recalling information less, and instead can remember where to find the information they have forgotten."
That's exactly how my brain works but I just assumed it was an expression of my librarian gene. Apparently not.

No comments: