the AFoundation in the Batlic Triangle has closed

Afoundation

Art I'm disappointed to see that one of my old employers and one of Liverpool's main art venues, the AFoundation in the Batlic Triangle has closed. I can only concur with everything Ella and Seven Streets have to say on the subject -- this leaves the Biennial with a huge gap in its exhibition space.

Part of the problem, I suppose, was the location. Though, with the help of Novas, the Jamaica Street area has been gaining in prominance over this past couple of years, it hasn't yet entered the city's popular consciousness (some taxi drivers are oblivious) even with its proximity to and accessibility from Liverpool One.

At least it went out with some crowd pleasing work at the last Biennial.  It's just a pity that more hasn't been made of the closure, an opportunity for those of us with an interest to visit for one last time.  I wonder what happened to the sandwich board.

Update! There's now confirmation that AFoundation has closed, Mark Waugh posted a press release on Seven Streets earlier and Ian's popped it up on Art In Liverpool. It is a money issue -- a funding application to the Arts Council was rejecting which meant the project was no longer sustainable. I just hope the staff will be ok.

I'm now listening to Iain Forsyth and Jane Pollard's Silent Sound (which was hosted when I worked there in 2006 and I listened to for many, many hours at the end of a corridor) as a mark of respect.

No comments: