likes being needed

Christmas My (or rather their) presents are wrapped. There seem to lots of boxes and books this year, not too many unusual shapes, but I still managed work through a roll and a half of wrapping paper. Everything is under the tree now, which is a shame because I miss the moment on Christmas morning when I was a child, entering the living room and find space that was bare the night before teeming with presents. I've grown up. We all have.

As ever, while I trying to find the end of the cellotape on the roll, I watched Ken Branagh's film In The Bleak Midwinter. I've forgotten when I decided to make it a tradition, but it must at least ten years now and each year I see something new, or it effects me in different ways. I blubbed a bit this time, during the scene in which Vernon tells Molly that he doesn't mind selling tickets because he "likes being needed". I'm not feeling very needed myself lately. I'll have to do something about that. New year's resolution.

1 comment:

tris said...

Do you have a copy of In The Bleak Midwinter?????

I've been searching for a copy of this for decades (well, one and a half....)

Loved it in the cinema (in the old 051 I think) and have been desperate to see it again...