is wonderful

Radio This week on the BBC Radio 4 blog, the network's announcers are being given the opportunity to talk about their job. It's also a chance to show us the personality which tends to be submerged when reading out the Shipping Forecast. Here's Cathy Clugston. She's funny:
"3.30AM The alarm goes off, but it doesn't bother me. That's because I'm already staring at it. In fact, I've been staring at it on-and-off since about two o'clock, when I jolted awake after a horrible dream in which I overslept until half past seven, raced in to find Radio 4 on a loop of Sailing By and got told off by James Naughtie, the UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon and my old primary school teacher Miss Carruth. Still, it could have been worse. I could have been naked."
Much the same thing happens to me now. I've been waking up at seven o'clock every day for months now, and I too can anticipate the alarm. I also can't even attempt to have a lie in because I wake up anyway. At least it's not 2am. That is early.

Kathy's also on Twitter. Her biog is wonderful: "Amazonian anosmic newsreading ukuleleist."

No comments: