Ages ago, well alright in May

About Ages ago, well alright in May, I asked Metafilter if they had any suggestions for how to collect a range of RSS feeds together and then filter them into another one using keywords, kind of like a personal Google News Alert in which I pick the sources.

There are some blogs and news websites I enjoy, but the sheer volume of posts makes them impossible for normal human people beings to keep track of. Much better then to simply be able to see what they're writing on subjects I'm interested in. I'd tried Yahoo Pipes, but it tends to time out if overloaded and it's not very flexible and I wanted something which was almost as easy to use as Google Alerts.

After thinking about it for six months, I've finally developed a solution. I'm still using Pipes to create a master feed of everything which I've bookmarked and can add to relatively easily. When I want to create a filter all I need to do is copy/paste the master feed URL into Feed Sifter along with the search term(s) and the combined, filtered special stuff pops out the other end.

Now wasn't that interesting?

No comments: