TV Remember, how whilst reviewing the final episode of Ashes to Ashes I said:
"Again I ask – if this all is in Alex’s head, why do we keep getting scenes from other character’s point of view? At first I thought it was part of some larger scheme, but I’m actually starting to conclude that it’s the producers not really thinking about their concept as much as they should and simply working to the needs of production and giving their cast something to do."
Turns out I was right:
"In terms of all of our theories about whether the world of Ashes is different to Mars, (Ashley Way) particularly noted that they had 'broken the rules' on all scenes having to have Alex in them in Ashes, whereas they didn't with Sam in Mars. [...] I didn't get any sense they have done this for any reason other than it's bloody hard to write a series with a single character in every scene. IE we shouldn't read too much into it."
That is disappointing. I can't help wondering if cleverer writing would have taken advantage of these production issues to make the series more interesting than, like Life on Mars, it transpires it actually is. Am I wrong to be expecting something complex from drama?

No comments: