Hits and flops

Film The Guardian today ran two commemorations -- one from Martin about Michelangelo, the other Woody on Ingmar. Both are really wonderful and say as much about their writers as their subjects. Although neither are on their website, I've managed to track both down at the International Herald Tribune, here's the Scorsese and the Allen:
"I learned to try to turn out the best work I'm capable of at that given moment, never giving in to the foolish world of hits and flops or succumbing to playing the glitzy role of the film director, but making a movie and moving on to the next one. Bergman made about 60 films in his lifetime, I have made 38. At least if I can't rise to his quality maybe I can approach his quantity."
If only he could also get them released everywhere as well ...

No comments: