It's a godawful small affair

Quiz! Keris suggests a cunning meme or quiz which should stand in well tonight in the absense of inspiration anything exciting happening my life (spent the day dissertation writing -- well I suppose there are degrees of excitement). Here goes:
So what you do is you put your iPod (or whatever) on shuffle and write down the first line of the first 25 songs that come up ("no repeat artists, no foreign muck, no songs where the title is in the first line, and nothing that even you with the title in front of you have no clue what it is" - Marie). Then you put it on your blog and everybody has to identify the songs and artists, and you post the answers as people get them. Or rather no one bothers to guess and in a couple of weeks I post the answers myself and go off in a huff.
Well, here are thirty. Some of them are easypeasy and some not so. Given that WinAmp had almost my entire music collection to play with it's surprisingly Sunday newspaper freebee compilation friendly although there are still some truly ecclectic choices ...

(1) It's a godawful small affair David Bowie - Life On Mars Monkey & Poly_Gianniba magic.

(2) Love to your mother, your brother, I kept thinking of her

(3) You don't know, when love is

(4) Hey sister, go sister, soul sister, go sister All Saints -- Lady Marmalade I'm not at all embarassed to say. Another one for & Poly_Gianniba and the Monkey.

(5) Genius to fall to asleep

(6) Well, you got me shaking through my head to the bottom of my toes

(7) What am I to you?

(8) Even on a day like, when calling on the phone

(9) There is nothing that

(10) Do you have the time?

(11) Say Goodnight, not goodbye, you will never leave my heart behind

(12) I never jumped in and rescued you but I wanted to

(13) Just you, just me, let's find a cozy spot where no one can see

(14) If, if you choose, that we will always loose Sail this ship alone - The Beautiful South -- spotted by Adrian.

(15) Ghost's speaking out from under the stairway, calling your name that's lighter than air

(16) I recommend getting your heart trampled on to anyone It is Alanis, Rasputin, You Learn.

(17) First I was afraid I was petrified I Will Survive - I'm guessing Gloria Gaynor Another one from Adrian.

(18) Everyone around the world will find themselves

(19) Mick came home late last night

(20) It's your thing, do what you wanna do The Isley Brothers -- It's Your Thing Monkey, monkey, monkey, monkey!

(21) I can't help feeling they've made a fool of me rather

(22) In the shade of every moment, I played

(23) Why you trying to second guess me?

(24) God is a man

(25) Little field mice living under the house Eels -- Flyswatter. Ra, ra Rasputin!

(26) Sometimes it's hard to make things clear

(27) Leave my lying here because I don't wanna go

(28) I'm waiting for a friend to help me off the ground

(29) When you look at me tell me what you see

(30) Are we on? We're recording now?

... remember no googling -- it's just not fun that way. Some will be bleeding obvious, although you wouldn't believe how many I had to disqualify on the grounds that I couldn't understand the lyric. Gosh, I'm getting old.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, the ones that I can come up with both an artist and a title for...
14) Sail this ship alone - The Beautiful South
17) I Will Survive - I'm guessing Gloria Gaynor rather than Cake

Is there a "look" missing from 29, btw?

Anonymous said...

is 16 - alanis morrisette and 25 the eels?? and can i have a certificate to prove I'm not insane please

rasputin

Anonymous said...

1. david bowie's life on mars from hunky dory (excellent background music for lounging around the house avoiding responsibility.

4. lady marmelade by patti labelle and various artists after that (perfect music for hoovering the house!)

20. isley brothers' it's your thing (an excellent accompaniment for cooking)

Anonymous said...

No. 10 could be Green Day's Basketcase. 29 is See The Day - I'm hoping by D C Lee rather than Girls Aloud ...