Ch-ch-ch-changes

Life This was my last day of formal teaching, final two seminars of the year with just an essay to write by D-Day and a dissertation for some time in early September. I vividly remember my excitement in September at the opening lecture and today had a hint of anti-climax, possibly because it wasn't the end of the course, more the drawing of a line under with a pencil rather than an endelible marker. Perhaps fittingly, we ended with the last ten minutes of It's a Wonderful Life, which I haven't seen in years but still had the power to get to me. As Aude Lange Syne sprang out from the voices of the people of Bedford Falls, I cried. It still feels like the end of something even through I've eighteen and half thousand words of writing ahead of me.

The sense of things changing continued on the was home as my train stumbled slowly through to Liverpool after being stuck behind a local train then stuttering into a track fault. Even though I was reading, I had time to look out of the window. For as long as I can remember there has been a massive car park filled with automobiles are far as the eye could see. I guessed it was a kind of 'warehouse' for cars and over the years I've been able to see the trends in favourite colours -- one month blue, the next red, the next white. Today the car park was empty with only the dirty on the tarmac were the machines had been. Beyond this further down the line a host of golden daffodils have sprouted, rolling across the fields. Perhaps it's a sign.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You seem to do a lot of crying.

Stuart Ian Burns said...

Well it's more of a manly none cry. You know when I can feel the tears coming but I just manage to close the ducts in time. A bit like holding a sneeze. Real sadness though. Especially today.