driving me insane

Life I decided to work from home today. On Monday, this was a good idea. I managed to write over a thousand words of an essay which is driving me insane. On Monday. Today? Not so much. Every now and then I just can't get the brain into gear and keep my mind on who I am. What I am doing. I did manage to work out a better structure for the thing this morning and write the odd paragraph so that's good but I still feel like I've wasted the day. I'm going to try some course reading later, after tea. If I can.



By two o'clock, once I'd listened to tail end of the budget speech and David Cameron's sudden audition to appear on the '70s 'laughfest' The Comedians, I ended up watching Michael Winterbottom's Nine Songs which is the kind of film which feels very good and experimental but is certainly spoilt on dvd were it just looked like a cross between Later...with Jools Holland, The Red Shoe Diaries, Before Sunset and Touching The Void. Is it missing the point to say that it really needed more characterisation? Funny how The Chatterley Affair had much the same structure but with court scenes instead of indie bands.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try taking a walk... getting out of the house.

Stuart Ian Burns said...

Actually, what I really need is a holiday. I haven't been away anywhere longer than an overnighter since Paris in '02. For three days.

I think what Jesse did in Before Sunrise is probably a better model.

[Who are you?]

Anonymous said...

Do you ever compare things with real life rather then fictional film situations ?

Stuart Ian Burns said...

Well no. Because if I'd said 'What my mate Chris did last year' you'd be even less likely to know what I was talking about. Plus given that I'm on a film course I'm more likely to use film references to explain things.

Anonymous said...

have you ever seen Waking Life? it's kind of a documentary, just interviews from free thinkers from austin, tx about dreams and whatnot but it gives a little before sunrise/sunset fix. Ethan and Julie play their characters from the film and have a conversation (what else) while in bed. it's a curious film. be ready to think though, it throws a ton of ideas at you and doesn't give enough time to digest them. and definitely get the dvd with commentary, uber helpful. and if you're already seen it. nevermind. ;-)