Praise You

Music I've just spent lunchtime in the company of The Bisserov Sisters, a Bulgarian Vocal Trio. My course base, the Martin Harris Centre has a series of free lunch time concerts and I think they will be an excellent introduction to some forms of music I haven't previously heard being played live. The sister's, and by extension the Bulgarian sound seems to be a collision of the middle Eastern with something closer to Mediterranean, hints of Greek. Being held in a concert hall, I'm sure we lost some of the inimacy of the acapella songs in particular. Some of the dance pieces were interpreted by members of the audience who went to the front and joined in -- from what I could gather they had actually learnt the moves from a class the sisters had taught on a previous visit. It looked like a live version of Spike Jonze video for Fat Boy Slim's Praise You, and just as idiosyncratic.

No comments: