Ha hah ha -- yesss!

Quote "me: Do you take traveller's cheques?
checkout girl: Yes, we do.
me: Oh good. Here.
checkout girl: [scrutinising cheque] Oh...you've put the 9th of November. It's the 11th of September.
me: Erm...I know. That's just the British date format.
checkout girl: [blank stare] That's the British date..?
me: Date format. That's how it is in Britain.
checkout girl: [amazement] Wow...so it's November over there?
me: No...it's just writt-
checkout girl: I would never have guessed that. That's so weird.
me: Yeah - yeah, it is." -- whomever writes slow/afternoon

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my...that's hilarious.

I must admit that I did the same thing when I came over to the UK. The university things my b-day is a month before it actually is becuase I put that my b-day was 4/3/xx instead of 3/4/xx.

Oh well..two birthdays within a month from each other is pretty good, I'd say!

Audrey
www.wickedtribe.org/bygones

Anonymous said...

My whole office, which is the tiny Europe branch of an american company, loved that. We are forced to write our dates in US format, and use the word vacation in order to be understood by our dear colleagues over there.

NiceGuySean said...

I was once in a shop in the states when the lady at the checkout asked where I was from. I told her "England". "Oh", she said, "I didn't know you spoke English over there...."