Live 8

Live 8 Saw the whole of the Philadelphia gig last night on BBC Three -- I believe we had a more complete presentation than appeared in the US. I can't claim to have loved all the music I heard, but the Dave Matthews Band were excellent, as were Maroon 5 and Will Smith's energy continues to amaze -- even I cheered when I heard that Jazzy Jeff had briefly been re-united with the Fresh Prince. For some reason I only had really one emotional moment all weekend. Funnily enough it wasn't during the rerun of the Ethopia clip followed by the reveal of the survivor (something Bob Geldoff also did during the recording of Band Aid this time as we saw in the video). It was during Sarah Mclaughlin's set in Philly. I've heard Angel lots of times, but for some reason during the chorus:

"In the arms of the angel
fly away from here
from this dark cold hotel room
and the endlessness that you feel
you are pulled from the wreckage
of your silent reverie
you're in the arms of the angel
may you find some comfort here."

I cried.

Good grief it's doing it to me now as I write. I'm not sure why. I'll have to think about it. I really am looking for answers everywhere at the moment.

No comments: