Fantino

Blog! Meg talks about how times change, people change, weblogs change but some things endure:
At one point - and I'm being tongue in cheek here - I was jokingly called the queen of British Blogdom. This is, of course, hilarious, because frankly it could have been anyone at all - I just happened to be vaguely high-profile (though it's all extremely relative, natch) and had time and energy to organise and attend blogmeets, back when there were only ever going to be twenty geeks in an upstairs room. I also was able to talk about nothing quite comfortably with meatspace strangers, and so I did. A lot.
Probably one of the most touching pieces about the subject I've ever read. Funny how I only started reading Meg's site this time last year after everything.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's a lot of this around - Pete wrote something similar on Uborka a few days ago, as did Pixeldiva on her site. Wonder why we're all getting so meta at the moment?!

Stuart Ian Burns said...

Perhaps it's because we're all slowly reaching our 5th year anniversary -- that's a long time to be writing something by yourself for a continuous length of time. But also there's a feeling that we aren't pioneers any more, since everyone's joined the party. Being overtaken by the kids.

Plus it accords us the chance to see what our lives were like over that length of time in a way which wasn't possible when we just had our memories. The form forces some of us to be brutally honest so it's difficult to gives thing the sheen of fiction when a version of reality is a click away. Plus how many of us can say that our lives are better now than when we started writing because something exciting was happening and we wanted to tell the world?

Anonymous said...

our lives are better now than when we started writing because something exciting was happening and we wanted to tell the world

Mine is better because I started writing, no question about it.

Stuart Ian Burns said...

Karen -- that's what's so great but also so maddening about blogging. For some, their lives improved as a direct result, for others it just did anyway. I think I fall somewhere in between.

More often than I'd like I find myself standing with my nose up against the glass looking at all the sweets in the shop so out of reach.

But what all of these posts and similar ones I've seen elsewhere seem to be doing is looking back on salad days when everything was shiny and new. Do we still have that?