More Exciting that Google

www This is interesting. While I was working earlier, I accidentally typed just 'www' into the search box at Google. As you'd expect it brought up the top results for that search. What I didn't expect is how low down in the list Google itself appears, considering it's supposed to be the biggest website on the planet.
Yahoo!
Microsoft
AltaVista
CNN
Lycos
Adobe
Amazon.com
Excite
Google
MapQuest
I assumed that a seach engine would be pretty high in what is essentially a related search. There isn't a way to conclusive demonstrate this ranking, but seeing Yahoo!, AltaVista and Excite higher seems wierd to me. I didn't even know Excite, which was my favourite in the time before Google, was still a going concern (it certainly doesn't get the same press as Google or Yahoo! for that matter). Anyone have any suggestions as to why this might be?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hmmm, I think the explanation to this is hidden here somewhere:

http://www.google.com/technology/

Nobody searches "google". People type it on the browser's address field!