Life Props: Scarf

Life Props: Scarf



Until I started secondary school I never really wore scarfs. This was the time of the parka and to have the fur and the wool together was suffocating. The few I had were mostly decorative from a time I was almost a football fan. In particular a two-tone to commemorate one of the Everton-Liverpool FA Cup finals. Strangely despite hardly ever watching the sport it hung on my wall for years when I was a youngster.

When I did move up to the big school I had a scarf in my the school colours, blue and black. This from my Mum the knitting guru . It was always tricky rationalising how it fitted with blazer and tie but I somehow managed. It's still hanging off my chair on my room and until the weekend I was still taking this one out when it was bitterly cold.

My university scarf was fifteen feet long. It arrived by post in a show box when I was in halls. My Mum had been on sick leave from work and decided that she would finally knit the scarf I'd wanted since I saw Tom Baker dash around a quarry in the 1970s. It was all in black and very thick. In all the years we were together I never worked out how to wear it comfortably. It would bunch around my neck adding an extra chin and if I didn't throw it around my shoulders five times I'd end up walking on it. But I loved it to bits for what it said about me and how warm it made me feel. Then one fateful night earlier this year I went to a pub in the city centre and saw a really good band. So good in fact that I left the scarf behind when I left. I never saw it again. I was crushed and as you can see it took me months to come to terms with the fact and move on. But they were a good ten years.

I bought this new scarf at the weekend. It's from RedGreen and as far as I can see features their slightly Christmassy corporate colours. It's just right -- thick enough to keep my neck warm and thin enough that I'm going to half throttled when I go out in the morning. Original price £29. I bought it for £7 because it was the last one in the shop which makes me style conscious and lucky. I was bit worried that it was mainly for women, but the sales assistant convinced me it was unisex. Although I love it to bits, I think the mulled wine and cake which they were giving away in the shop might have swayed my purchasing decision.

No comments: