Film Regular readers will be aware of my general disdain for Odeon cinemas with their predominantly tiny screens, poor seating and screening equipment. But I'm currently spoilt with alternatives but there was a time when that was the only cinema available and I generally put up and shut up, and Odeon cinema being better than none at all. So I can imagine how the people of York feel about the probable closure of their only city centre cinema which happens to be an Odeon. In this page from a York newspaper website their ongoing campaign to keep it open is chronicled and although some of the concerns are based on nostalgia, there is mostly a perceived need for the place to stay open because its one of the centres of the community. There is an online form to add your name to the petition to keep it open and even though I've never been to cinema, I love film and I believe its a right for everyone to have access so I've signed. Plus there are the campaign posters ...

No comments: