Southport blues

Life Never revisit the favourite places of your childhood, they'll never be the same. I had a day trip to Southport, the seaside town on Merseyside. When I was young it was one of those golden places where you go as a treat at the weekend or during the summer holidays. I remember going one with my Mum and spending the whole day there for a fiver. Went back to day and came home feeling depressed. All of the lovely little shops selling sparkly things have drifted away; as with many British cities, it wasn't much different anymore to the others.

There were some bright spots. An old friend from the Lark Lane Flea Market has opened up a good bookshop there: Iris Books has a large good selection of everything and is worth a visit. Now that I know a bit about architecture, I recognise some great examples of the fifties aesthetic. But as I strolled through the amusement arcades and hovered over the sweet stands selling candy floss and rock, all I could think about is how progress is sometimes a terrible thing.

No comments: