Music I remember disinctly the first time I failed to listen to Guns 'n' Roses' 'Appetite for Destruction' album. I was at university and someone I was vaguely irritated by was trying to convince me that it was the best album ever made. I countered vehermently that he was wrong and offered 'Electric Youth' by Debbie Gibson as a valid alternative. Which is why I'm smirking at the new look Hybrid magazine, and their new section, which last month offered a similar claim:
"Guns ‘N’ Roses’s Appetite For Destruction is the best album ever made. Brutal, offensive, aggressive, cocky, and masterful, Appetite For Destruction represents everything that every mediocre metal band (including GNR itself) ever wanted to be. If it hadn’t been for a mainstream musical coup called Nevermind, Appetite could have heralded an era in hard rock, and the world of 90s hard rock would have been very different indeed. Izzy Stradlin probably would have kicked Stone Gossard’s pansy ass.
I don't remember Dan putting it quite so eloquently (I think the main strand of his argument was that it was "f*cking great"), but it has spurned me to go and get a copy. But somethings don't change you see. I still think their best track was their cover of 'Live & Let Die' and I prefer Sheryl Crow's version of "Sweet Child of Mine".

No comments: