Life After last week's little experiment (I spoke to Chris last night. He wanted to know if I'd taken notes during our night out), I feel like, as Henry Kelly would say in 'Going for Gold' -- 'I'm playing catch up'.

Christopher Price's death was a real surprise to everyone. What is particularly moving is how Chris was just on the cusp of moving from being a cult presence amonst celebrities to household name. The tribute show in particular demonstrated how instantly witty he was. Sadly missable. In this case, Dale Winton is no kind of substitute.

Equally shocking was the passing of Lisa Lopes. It's her left eye which graces the logo bar this week. Ironically I was listening to 'No Scrubs' on a self-made compilation when I heard the news and just kept looking at my stereo. I was never really a huge fan, but I respected her music. Again she was someone who still had a lot to offer the world, and not necessarily in music. Part of the trip, during which died, was charity work. There may be more to this story than meets the eye, however.

[Update, 3/5/2002. This post led to someone typing this Disturbing Search Request into Google and finding my site. Then people started clicking through from DSR and I've had four hundred and fifty hits today. I hope some of you stick around, and enjoy the site for the right reasons. If you are actually looking for the subject of that search, as I've said before, Nothing to see here. And there's no point emailing either. If I haven't posted them, do you think I'd reply to an email asking for them?]

ITV Digital's fortunes haven't increased, although it's amusing that Microsoft are circling. I would like a definitive answer as to whether we are going to be keeping the digital box. One by-product of the pay channels being switched off might be an increase in BBC4's ratings. C'mon George, show some muscle when it counts, buddy.

I went to Starbucks the other day. As you know, I work in Manchester. In Liverpool we get by with only two Starbucks. But Manchester seems to have hundreds. Trouble is when I'm in line I squint at the menu and simply can't decide what to have, so by the time I get the counter I panic ... and ask the clerk what they're favourite flavour is ... and just have that.
So it's lunch time from the job I can't mention the other day and I'm there again. The girl clerk waits patiently before I say:
"Oh I don't know err ... what would you have?"
"Well I'd have a hot chocolate ... so ..."
"Um."

"Come on. They all taste the same."
"You're not suppose to say that."
"OK ... we at Starbucks offer a whole range of flavours to suite all tastes."
"Erm..."
"Well do you want something sweet or bitter?"
"Sweet." I answer definately.
"Well there is ... mumble .... mumble .... mumble .... something with caramel." People who work in coffeehouses have their own language. They should hire translators. I try and jump in...
"That sounds nice. I'll have that."
"Which one?"
"Oh .. the first one ..."
"Large or small."
"Small. I'm not going to be here long."
I pay and join the queue. The business couple who came in after me are served their Lattes first.
Girl clerk: "Yours is a work of art so it'll just take a little bit longer."
"OK."
A boy clerk is working on my order. He looks like a mad scientist putting parts on a new machine as he pours syrups and milks together.
Two minutes later a mug arrives in the centre of the counter. The boy clerks throw his hands in the air in victory.

"Taa daa." He shouts.
I find myself clapping slightly.
I sip the coffee. It tastes like a little piece of heaven.
Who knew just ordering a coffee could be so much fun?

No comments: