"He made an exasperated sound"

TV Someone posted a quite hopeful list of admittedly intelligent questions for actor Peter Dinklage on Reddit, which led to this interview from the New York Times on the occasion of the second series of Game of Thrones. Having essentially stolen the first series, it's pleasing to hear he's signed on for another five years.

It's a generally good interview (with spoilers towards the end so be careful if you've not seen series one yet) but does include that question I'm always disappointed by, the one which only ever seems to be offered to someone from a "minority" (with apologies for the pejorative) who has had a bit of success:
"I asked if he ever hoped to be a spokesman for the rights of little people. He made an exasperated sound and held his hands out, palms up. “I don’t know what I would say. It would be arrogant to assume that I. . . .” He put his hands down on the table. “Everyone’s different. Every person my size has a different life, a different history. Different ways of dealing with it. Just because I’m seemingly O.K. with it, I can’t preach how to be O.K. with it. I don’t think I still am O.K. with it. There’s days when I’m not.”
Try turning that question on its head, Dan Kois. Do you ever hope to be a spokesman for the rights of New York Times journalists?

No comments: