I’m going to spend today watching BBC Parliament and more specifically the day’s business in the House of Commons.

Politics I’m going to spend today watching BBC Parliament and more specifically the day’s business in the House of Commons. My natural curiosity was piqued at about 10pm one night when I was flicking through the channels for something to watched and saw six hardy souls or MPs in the chamber debating what sounded like an important piece of legislation related to dentists. In that moment I began to wonder if, as we heard over and over during the expenses scandal, there really are very hard working back benchers being tarred with the greedy brush who simply want to get on with the job at hand of running the country.

More than that, for all my opinionation, I realised that I don’t really know what happens in parliament and that my impressions are second hand, based on the reporting and opinions and interpretations of of journalists rather than my own eyes. In bygone times that was the only information source, then some radio broadcasts were available, but now politics is available to anyone with a multi-channel box, live streamed if you will, and it seems very odd not to take advantage of that even if just for one day. I’ve picked the day at random, I don’t really know what to expect, but I’m sure, or at least hope, it will be educational.

Oh and I’ll be tweeting what I see through the day, and fielding abuse, if you want to follow along: http://www.twitter.com/feelinglistless.

No comments: