How about Sugafree?

Music Regular reader will know that I've had an unecessary interest in the travails of the Sugababes. It seemed at the end of last week that Amelle was leaving with Eurovision's Jade Ewan taking her place, but finally today it was revealed that in fact Keisha is the one to attempt the solo career though it's looking like she was forced out:
"Although it was not my choice to leave, it's time to enter a new chapter in my life. I have nothing but positive things to say about the girls and I wish them the best of luck. I would like to state that there were no arguments, bullying or anything of the sort that led to this."
Which leaves the group without any of its original founding members, a curious state of affairs I'm sure you'll agree.

But here's the thing: I'm assuming Keisha is still contracted to the record company but if the solo career doesn't pan out, if they're happy enough to kick her from the Sugababes, they'll drop her like a stone. Mutya's solo career hasn't worked out that well (duet with George Michael on the album, I mean really) and (wait for it) Siobhan's last album Ghosts, the best you've never heard, was treated abominably and tanked also. Which would leave the original line-up to reform. If the All Saints or Spandau Ballet can get their act together for a last lap of the popverse what's to stop these three?

They'd just need to find a name. How about Sugafree?

Let's take a moment to remember them in happier times. On The Priory!



The sound is rotten but look -- possible first television appearance!

Updated! What happens to this now? Withdrawn and rerecorded? It'll be the Taller In Many Ways debarkle all over again, you mark my words. Expect a rerelease of Get Sexy in a matter of days.

No comments: