links for 2008-08-01

Review: Swing Vote @ Cinematical
Sounds like a fine piece of Capracorn; it it had been made fifty years ago it would have featured Gary Cooper and Jean Arthur

Classics of everyday design No 48: The View-Master
Jonathan Glancey offers a slightly more knowledgeable version of a pub conversation. "I had the Buck Rogers one!" etc.

NASA Spacecraft Confirms Martian Water, Mission Extended
"Laboratory tests aboard NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander have identified water in a soil sample. The lander's robotic arm delivered the sample Wednesday to an instrument that identifies vapors produced by the heating of samples."

Again? Really?
You'll have to read it. But I will say that people rarely know were I'm from. I think I've a slight Liverpool twang, but my fellow city people often think from outside the area and southerners sometimes take me as being one of their own. I've even had Australian, though the person was very drunk, I think.

Sunday Times subeditors reply to Giles Coren
"None of this, however, can excuse your nasty, bullying, "know your place, you insignificant little fuckwit" e-mail. Yes, it's funny, in a way that pieces that use "fuck", "shit" and "cunt" so liberally often can be, but, please - someone made a mistake. They surely had no intention of sabotaging your deathless prose. So you don't like what happened to your piece - have a word with your editor. The hapless sub will no doubt already have been soundly thrashed and had their dictionary privileges removed."

Interviews: Edgar Wright @ AV Club
Very thoughtful interview. Always odd hearing about Spaced, something I've grown with being experienced by a new audience. I'd love to see a new series, but I suspect the coda at the close of the documentary on the dvd is probably the best we can hope for, and may be enough.

A Memoir - Nonnuendo
Robyn's blogging again. Properly this time. Hopefully.

3 comments:

Orbyn said...

(yes, properly. but sssh lest you jinx it!)

magickat said...

HA! Thank you for linking my silly post. I am glad to see that the ethnicity errs are a worldwide issue. Kinda makes us all that much more alike! ;)

Stuart Ian Burns said...

Orbyn: Mum's the word. ;)

Magickat: Exactly! I asked an expert in accents once why I don't really speak like a Liverpudlian and he said it often happens if the person doesn't think of themselves as being from any one place. Which makes sense I suppose.