Life I’ve just phoned and canceled my BT Surftime dial-up account. I first signed up in the late nineties, when broadband was a luxury item, 56k still seemed speedy and the Internet hadn’t really met video much yet. It wasn’t as simply a process as I would have liked – since the package was discontinued in 2005 it sounded as though the department which dealt with it had been shunted to Alpha Centuri and I was talking to a robot. Everything seemed to be going fine until the end of the call when the sales rep said “I see you have another service. Surftime… Would you like me to cancel that as well?” So I’ll have to wait until the cancellation order goes through (two days) because I can actually call and find out if the cancellation has gone through -- and if I’ve actually been signed up to the premium thingy (at £1.50 per month) which lets me keep my email addresses, which by now are as much a part of by web identity as thing you're reading here.

No comments: