"I wasn’t so impressed. Want to grab a coffee and talk about it?" -- Jules, 'Jules et Jim'

Alexander Solzhenitsyn: His final interview
The final two questions are ironic given the circumstances: "When I was young, the early death of my father cast a shadow over me – and I was afraid to die before all my literary plans came true. But between 30 and 40 years of age my attitude to death became quite calm and balanced. I feel it is a natural, but no means the final, milestone of one's existence."

Index on Censorship has his call to action.
"And so I have come to realise, and have personal experience of the fact, that world literature is no longer an abstract graph, no longer a generalisation constructed by literary experts, but a common body and common soul, a living responsive unity reflecting the growing spiritual unity of mankind."

Petition Launched to Make Bono History
Mark Kermode should be pleased about this.

Race, racism, and... UFO!
"What struck me about the scene is the way it undermines the whole cheerful magically unracist future thing you get in SF. Bradley directly challenges his White boss' blithe assumption that he knows whether racism is still around or not; as well as the idea that racism could suddenly just disappear one year after being around for centuries. (We never learn what was supposed to have happened around 1976! Was there a Eugenics War? Or was Rock Against Racism more effective than anyone had expected?)."

A cup of tea with China's police
The BBC's man in China on being held by the local police and draws some slightly unwarranted criticism in the comments, even though its simply a bit of reportage.

'The Girl You Never Knew' By Georgia Wonder
Not sure about the backing track, but what an extraordinary vocal.

Games cinephiles play
What about Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon?

No comments: