"You're making a huge misstep." -- Plainview, 'There WIll Be Blood'

Film Another Oscars missed then through Sky having the rights and not at least broadcasting them on Sky Three so that those of us with a Freeview box could watch. I did my best to get some of the excitement though, when I woke up this morning, I ignored the television and went straight to The Guardian blog where I knew Anna had been liveblogging through the night which was the next best thing.

I was still able to experience the Oscars (albeit in biting satire), gasping at the upsets and surprises in the right order and something of the build up to the Best Picture. I'm pleased that so many Brits have won awards even if I haven't seen any of the films they've actually won awards for and much as I loved Enchanted, I love that Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova won for "Falling Slowly" which was one of my favourite songs of last year.

When the dust settles though, in a few years, after the cineastes and film academia have had their hands on it (writing journal articles with titles like 'In Plainview: Framing Oilmen'), There Will Be Blood losing will like the many Scorsese upsets (Goodfellas, Taxi Driver, Gangs of New York, Raging Bull) be seen as the academy choosing the less important film as their favourite.

I've already it said it once, but PTA's film has the potential to change our films are made. Expect a lot of very interesting pieces of work to come out of Hollywood over the next couple of years. Than again, I said that about Crash which pretty much killed the hyperlink film genre even before I'd handed in my dissertation about it, so what do I know?

No comments: