"If you're fond of sand dunes and salty air..."

Commerce I popped into Marks & Spencer today to pick up a copy of their new catalogue.

As I traveled down the escalator towards the exit, I begin to whistle. I’m not sure what it is I’m whistling but it sounds familiar. I think about it for a moment and I realise it’s At The River by Groove Armada. I further realise that it’s the music the shop’s using in their food campaign, the one with Dervla Kerwin in which she makes things like strawberries and chopped onions seem sexy.

So I’m in a Marks & Spencer store whistling the soundtrack of their ad campaign.

It seems that none of us, now, are immune to brand penetration.

Luckily, Groove Armarda aren’t too enamored with the campaign as this interview explains:
Are you still using your music on a lot of TV ads and programs?

Yep. We did a big commercial for Renault with I See You Baby and made a lot of dough. It was a really good ad and kept our profile out there in a weird way. We've just done a thing with (British department store) Marks and Spencer using At the River. I really regret that. The offer came when I didn't think we were going to make another record and, like everyone else, I've got to feed my family. You've got to make hay while the sun shines and this ad could set me up for a year.

What's so wrong with it?

I hate it. It's a food ad. It's terrible. It's pouring sauce over fish with At the River over the background. It's killed it for me.
Yes, but do you find yourself whistling it in the food department?

No comments: