Posers

About Since I'm lacking in any actual inspiration on this warm evening, I thought I pose you some questions, things I've been wondering about.

(1) I've been hearing and reading some very bad things about the Gilmore Girls final season. Should I stop at the end of the sixth much as I'm planning to do when the current reruns of The West Wing scrolls around to the end of the fourth series, or soldier on regardless?

(2) Lately (well in the last couple of days) I've been retro gaming a bit, playing the different systems in emulation that I didn't a chance to growing up but the choice of games is bewildering. What games, on any computer or video games system have you truly loved and think I should try?

(3) What happened to Joss Stone? She used to be quite good. See also Avril Lavigne and Nelly Furtado.

(4) Are there any truly original film makers or films? Doesn't it just seem like even the best new films are simply a post-modern mishmash of what's gone before? Wasn't the silent movie era the most exciting because everything was new and innovative?

(5) Do you ever feel truly awake?

4 comments:

Keris Stainton said...

Gilmore Girls. That depends on why you watch/like it. If you, like me, are desperately in love with and invested in (most of) the characters then keep watching. If it's the writing you love, probably not.

The comparison to the West Wing is pertinent. The writing, character violations, lack of humour. As you know, I had to give up on the West Wing. I haven't regretted continuing with Gilmore Girls, but I do wish Amy Sherman-Palladino had stayed (but nowhere near as much as I wish Aaron Sorkin had stayed).

Does that help at all? LOL

Stuart Ian Burns said...

GG: It's both of course. It's just I'm getting tired of falling love with a show only for the creators to shuffle off leaving someone who doesn't really get what makes the thing unique. See also 'Dawson's Creek' which took a nose dive in the fifth season.

I'll probably end up watching S7 and shouting about how wrong it is like everyone else. It'll take me some time to get there anyway -- only the first three seasons have been released in the uK up until now.

Anonymous said...

GG: There's definitely a discontinuity between S6 and S7, and another one about half-way through S7. In particular, the wit and charm is hampered. And there were also scenes I found boring, at least on first viewing.

But despite the complaints, enough of the quality is still there that it's probably worth continuing. (I've watched these episodes several times so far, and I'm not dead yet.) The story still has momentum. The drama is still there. (And the intense drama IMO is one reason for fan complaints.) And the characters still feel like real people.

-TimK

Anonymous said...

I save you all the hastle and arguments - it's always been rubbish !