Directionless. Jobless.

Life Well the cold has largely cleared now except for some winter snivels which means the reality of the situation is returning. Deep breath. At the moment I feel, despite the title of the last post that was about me, rather directionless. I check the job sites every few days, request the odd application form the job description for which usually when sent indicates I have far less experience than is required (and today that meant an understanding of the international slave trade and the ability to speak English, French and Spanish fluently). I knew that once I finished my course I wouldn't have a clue, but it's become somewhat ... endemic ... if that's the word. Any ideas?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you not have a plan for when you actually gratuated ? Did you choose the relevent course ? It all seems rather confusing from an outsider's point of view !

Stuart Ian Burns said...

I did choose a relevant course for me, but the plan was always to graduate. Unfortunately I didn't think too much about the time afterwards. Hence the problem.

Anonymous said...

Surely you chose the relevent course with a view to what would come afterwards ? I mean, I for one wouldn't choose to do a course simply because I enjoyed the subject, if my intentions after graduation were to go into a completely unconnected area. I mean, I might like pies and cake and would enjoy the merits of studying for a Nutrition degree at University, but I would find my qualification almost useless if my career intentions where to become a Doctor. I'm still a bit confused, am I being thick ??

Lara said...

Hi outsider, you might be being funny. You can decide which kind of funny.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to feel directionless and lost when looking for jobs. By the nature of my career, which means fixed term contracts based on funding or whichever way the wind blows, my life frequently feels like this. I've come to the conclusion that it's a good thing.

Don't despair.

A xx

Stuart Ian Burns said...

Thanks Amy, that's lovely.

I understand the pie and cakes analogy, but I believed and still believe that my future lies in something film related -- it's just in my blood, it's what I'm most comfortable with and talking about and the forgotten films exercise has been good practice. I just need to find my niche.

Anonymous said...

That's OK, thanks for clearing that up Stu, much appreciated :-) As for you Amy, you seem to me to be a rather aggressive young (I'm presuming) lady. I don't really recall asking for your opinion, and care even less for it now that I've heard it. I wasn't "being funny", I was merely making a perfectly normal observation that Stu has actually agreed with. And just for the record Amy, I find you an hilarious character. Good Day.