In need of hair

Reality Check I haven't watched Children in Need for many a year and tonight was no exception -- until I accidentally turned to BBC and their Live Feed of the goings on in a salon that appears to be preparing the guests for the main show. I'm currently watching something I don't think I'd ever imagine seeing. New Romantic Steve Strange attempting a World Record for shaving as many heads as he can in an hour, being aided and abetted by the excellent Sarah Cawood (who was lately on the lottery show, including the night that Fathers4Justice invaded. She was unflappable).

It's actually more fascinating than you'd imagine because the people passing through, presumably plucked from the studio audience, are all shapes and sizes and ages. A man passed through earlier mid-fifties, very long hair and glasses, who once shaven, looked about ten years younger and almost seemed to gain a different personality -- his face changed completely, even when he put his glasses back on.

Not too long ago I had very short cropped hair. It was a convenience because I couldn't get to the barbers too often. But what I found was that people's attitude to me didn't seem to fit the person I am. I'd go into shops and I'd be followed around by security or I'd be talking to people and I'd feel there was a barrier. I let my hair grow and suddenly that evaporated -- although now my hair is getting too long and that seems to have other implications. It's wiry and gets dirty quite easily which means there's a danger that it seems -- unkempt. Can't win really.

Incidentally, Mr. Strange is going with such pace that he's guaranteed to be going into the record books...

No comments: