Desired food

Feminism "We're in a restaurant having dinner. "I'm paying for this," he says. He is trying to be assertive, not something that comes naturally. "No, don't argue. I want to do it." My first thought is oh, that's nice of him, but below there is something that won't let me accept. "But I want to pay for it," he insists; he's bewildered by my stubborn refusal. "I'm just trying to be nice." I know he's just trying to be nice, and as far as he's aware, he has no ulterior motive. But I still won't let him pay." - Claire McGowan in The f-word

This is actually food for thought, although I've been on the woman's side of the discussion. Claire's right, if someone offers to pay for your meal you are then in the situation of not always eating what you want. You might have been in the mood for a steak but because the other person is paying, you do subconsciously not want to step over the line and order something that might bankrupt -- so much easier to order for yourself and have what your heart and stomach desire.

No comments: