Lunacy

Music I'd only heard snatches of the Lily Allen single Smile before I bought it today (a twisted logic I'll explain in a moment) and you know, I actually agree with the hype (for a change). It's not going to change the course of musical history, but she's got a lovely vocality and although I'm not versed enough in the terminology, it's a good beat and I could probably dance to it in the unlikely event that I get a life some time soon and end up in places were people do that kind of thing. Good God, my life at the moment. You wouldn't believe. Although I know some of you would.

I actually bought the single on the strength of the zeitgeisty b-side entitled Cheryl Tweedy which I heard previewed online and as always seems to be the inevitability in cases such as this appears for my money a better record than the 'a'. The chorus is far catchier, even if actually I don't want to 'look just like Cheryl Tweedy'. It's a shame it didn't get bumped further up the track listing, if only because of the possibility that in its death throws, Ferne Cotton on Top of the Pops would have needed to announce that Lily Allen was in at number three this week with Cheryl Tweedy. That being the end of that sentence. Perhaps Girls Aloud will release an answer called Lily Allen. I'm guessing not. Pity that the c-side Absolutely Nothing isn't very good at all. Always dangerous to title things with titles like that.

No comments: