job

Work "Today was my second day at my new job. I quit." -- Modi

This isn't an isolated incident. A couple of times I've taken jobs (both temping and not) in which the information given during the interview doesn't quite match what happened in the first few days. I once took a job at a well known music retailer were the boss advised that I'd be working on the counter from day one and I was stuck in the tiny stockroom permanently, labeling cds and cleaning the floor whilst other new starters were out in the massive shop. They would all go home at the right time while I'd be there until all of the stock had been marked up and shipped out. Without extra pay. Was I being exploited? Oh yes. I stuck it out for three weeks (during which I was tired/mental/crying, sometimes on the same day), then handed my notice in. Which the boss said he didn't receive even though I'd left it on his desk just as he'd asked me to. One 'discussion' later, he threatened me (even though I was just telling him were I'd put the letter) and I was out the door never to return.

No comments: