interview



Alexis Strum

I've been listening to Alexis Strum's Cocoon for a few weeks now and frankly it's one of best albums I've heard this year combining the heartfelt singer-songwriter vibe with something you can dance to. I wanted to ask her how someone gets from there to here...

What kinds of music did you listen to when you were younger?
A lot of soul records that my Dad was into - Diana Ross, Motown, as well as singer-songwriters like Joni Mitchell. Then I had my indie phase, then my grunge moment! I was obsessed with Chris Cornell from Soundgarden!

Were you a Smash Hits reader?
Avidly, yes! I would memorise the lyrics to songs and collect all the free gifts!

In the spirit of their interviews, what colour is Friday?
Orange, of course.

I read in the biography on your official website that as a child you were hit on the head by a shot-put. That must have been painful.
Fuck yeah! I still haven't recovered. I still haven't recovered. I still haven't recovered.

Do you think it had any lasting effects?
(see above)

Did you come to music gradually or was there a moment of clarity when you realised that this is what you wanted to do with your life?
I think it was quite gradual. I just knew that I wanted to be creative - I toyed with writing, painting, singing, acting, until I found my true love!

I've often wondered with solo artists why they decided that the group thing isn't for them. Could you have stood being an All Saint or a Sugababe?
No! You are either a team player or not and you know in your heart what the answer to that is.

It's an amazing album. Are you pleased with it?
Totally - its my favourite album of 2006! hahaha

Again, reading the biog it sounds as though it's been a difficult road for you. It must be sweet to have a shiny disc finally in the shops which people can buy.
Oh my lord it has been so hard but I think anything that challenges you is worth it - men, careers etc!

The album manages to work the fineline between sounding intensely personal but still being emotionally accessible. Why was that important?
Because I don't want Joe Bloggs to go into Asda and buy the album and not be able to relate to what I'm singing about - what would be the point of that? I don't need to write cleverclogs lyrics to be accepted.

I'm on a film course at university at the moment so I couldn't not ask you what some of your favourite movies are ...
The Fifth Element is my fave film, alongside The Usual Suspects, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Picnic at Hanging Rock

And finally, if you could choose one word to describe how your life is going at the moment, what would it be?
Challenging!

Thanks Alexis.

Cocoon is released on the 27 March. Alexis Strum's weblog is at PopJustice and her official website is here.

No comments: