Casual Racism

Sociology "I was in Pearl Paint in Chinatown waiting for an elevator today, along with three other women, one of whom was yakking away in her cell phone. Yap, yap, yap.
"Yeah, I'm with Marsha in Chinkytown right now. She begged me to come down with her," she said.
I turned and stared at her, but she didn't notice me.
"Marsha's always begging me to go down to Chinkytown with her. She loves it here."
Since I was the only Asian person in the small vestibule around the elevator, I wondered if Cell Phone Twit was trying to goad me. But she seemed either indifferent or oblivious to my presence, and totally invested in her conversation. I passed her a couple of other times in the store, on different levels, and she always had her phone attached to her ear and the same stream of vacuous pitter-patter spewing forth from her glossy mouth." -- Catherine

I've posted the whole thing because it's really, really shocking. The rest of Catherine's post is worth reading as a document of the kind of casual racism which I always naivly think has gone away. But apart from that some people on cellphones/mobilephone really annoy me. Especially on trains. When they shout and want everyone to know what they're shouting about because it must be important and make them sound important. Twits indeed. Although the vowel in that t-word is changable if required.

No comments: