unlike

Film "Yes, I am an obnoxious American who thinks I can come over here and tell people what to do...especially since I pay taxes that support benefits afforded you because you have children...especially since I've been living and contributing here for some years...especially with regards to your rights infringing upon mine. I think that in this country I have the right to go to the cinema and watch the film without molestation. I also think that I have the right to voice my opinion regardless of whether or not you feel that I am an obnoxious American. I think this is a country that allows free speech (unlike my own), and I like to exercise it." -- Daneeta Loretta Saft

Mark Kermode said something similar on the radio the other week (I'm paraphrasing): "Would you talk in church? No. Then why are you talking in the cinema?" When I saw Match Point the other week, it was a pretty full cinema which was totally quiet, except for these two women on the back row who laughed and chatted quite loudly all of the way through ...

... or until I got up from my seat on the front row, walked all the way to the back of the auditorium, leaned over to them and said, "Would you mind being quiet please, I'm trying to watch the film." Oh yes, they were quiet after that -- I think it was the effort I went to -- they looked stunned. Which isn't to say I didn't hurry out of the cinema at the end so as not to have a confrontation. Really, I had a train to catch.

No comments: