"I'm just going out for a while, I may be some time." - Oates

Books Blackwells again tonight for talk by Max Jones on his new book, an edited, annotated edition of Captain Scott of the Antarctic's journals. Mr Jones was an able, excited, entertaining speaker and somehow in this short talk managed to both justify the work and make it seem like an essential purchase. Luckily the room was full this time, to a degree because he's also a lecturer at the University and many of his students turned up to show their support. I do have the guilt because for the second time in a week I didn't buy the book, but I really haven't the time for it -- I've so much else to read. At least there were enough people gathering near the pile of books at the front by the author so that I could dive for the door at the back without being noticed.

No comments: