Knocking on...

Elsewhere For some reason I was reluctant to blog this, but what the hell - this is supposed to be a record of my life as well as anything else. So. A new book has been published, Back To The Vortex by J Shaun Lyon. It's subtitled, The Unofficial and Unauthorised Guide to Doctor Who 2005, and that's exactly what it is, recording in exhaustive detail every step from the moment the series was announced up to a couple of months ago. It isn't a 'making of' though -- this is a record of how the media and fans viewed the process -- more of a social document.

So you would assume that it might quote from a few websites with an interest in the series. Websites like Behind The Sofa Again. And that writers for that website might want to keep an eye out. Oh well, alright, here I am on page 159 ...
"Stuart Ian Burns described the tone as: '...just right. Some will no doubt knock on about the humour, especially in the scene when the Auton arms comes to life and attacks the Doctor without Rose noticing, or the wheelie bin burp, but I that's not much better or worse than John Pertwee's cleaning lady, or any number of Jelly Baby scenes. It's an important part of the series and in the Whedon age, vital other it would all look a bit ernest and silly."
That's from this post here, my review of the first episode, Rose. I mean there are literally hundreds of people quoted throughout the book from all kinds of publications. But there is something a bit thrilling about seeing something you've written picked up and quoted and not sounding too out of place and actually being in print. I'm listed in the acknowledgements too.

I've actually been wrestling with writing related issues this past week. I wasn't entirely happy with the first essay that was submitted to my course. It seemed a bit artificial, it didn't flow but before I could help it, I ran out of time. Looking at the above quote I realised exactly what the problem was. Being myself. When I wrote the essay I was attempting to produce something I thought fitted the expected academic writing style, rewriting odd bits to sound 'more intelligent'. What I should have done is produced a piece of work with the same form I've been using for the past five years (example) and let the tutors advise me on what needs changing. I love that this quote includes the phrase "knocking on" which turns up all the time in my writing -- now it shouldn't be in an essay but at least it sounds like something I would write.

No comments: