Dusk of the Dead

Life I'm at the main university library, spending time between the end of the school day and meeting people for this evening's escapades. I suppose in future weeks, this could usefully be taken up with college work - reading and whatnot, but today, still chasing down the remnants of my cold I just felt the need to be in motion. So I took a bus into town and wandered about for half an hour, then returned to the campus looking for a hearty meal at the refectory. What I found was stodgy fish and crispy chips. Probably in my top five worst and loneliest meals ever. If something is making you cough whilst your eating it, it's probably time to put it aside and go and eat a Bounty instead.

At this time the campus is largely deserted, a few odd, lonely figures wandering around. It's a bit like the empty mall in Romero's Dawn of the Dead -- you can tell that life has been here. There are still the smells of a day full of people going about their study. Oddly, the library is busier - there are more people around, talking, some smiling. I wonder how many will still be here at 11:30pm when the building closes. I'll hopefully be on the train by then. I've a busy day tomorrow and staying up until all hours would probably not be a good idea.

No comments: