dvd killed the tv star

TV Or not. This week I didn't watch any television live other than some news here and there. Oh hold on, I did see some show on Friday night in which Nick Knowles threw luggage around on a bungie rope to see how durable it was (not very but excellent fun). I saw a recording of Extras (very good) and worked my way through six hours of a documentary about Broadway musicals I recorded on BBC Four a few months ago (why do Americans feel the need to make sure that every point is made five or six times lest we lose the thread?). Odd.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Presuming you are talking about the musicals themselves, it's because if they didn't thrash out the point to death, the great american joe public wouldn't understand what was going on. Compare UK and USA recordings of British written musicals - all the long complicated words have been replaced my simpler ones for the US audience, I kid thee not ! Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone anyone ?

Stuart Ian Burns said...

Actually I was talking about the documentaries -- there is a particular type of US documentary which feels very simplified -- were nothing in the audience is granted. But what you've said is also true of the musicals as well -- but isn't that part of the form? Can musicals have very details plotlines?

Anonymous said...

Les Miserables, Sweeney Todd and Return to the Forbidden Planet(to understand what the hell goes on in this one takes a good few viewings !), to name but a few, I would suggest take more concentraion than the likes of Cats, Grease and the like.