City Girl

Film I wondered, after the identity of Deep Throat was revealed to the world, whether the scenes in All The President's Men, still one of my all time top ten films, continued to keep that mystery or whether knowing the identity of character Hal Holbrook is playing ruins things because crucially we're beginning to learn about what was happening on the other side. You know what? They really don't. In fact, an extra vibe is in the mix -- the tension that we know what Felt was risking being in that underground car park. When he tells Woodward not to call him at that crucial moment you assume it's because his life is in danger. It adds shades of grey to the Redford character because it now seems as though he's will to risk a man's life for the investigation. I'm sure it's a complete co-incidence that the documentary, Inside Deep Throat is being released next week. I hope people aren't going to turn up expecting an expose of the FBI during the Nixon era.

Updated: I've just read here, that sales of the dvd of the movie have increased by 1000%, which is shame because its a foggy old transfer which seems to have been created by pissed monkeys (do I not tire of that phrase). This is the same one which was released at the dawn of the dvd age, with a bit-rate lower than most Sky shopping channels. I've had better performance from my £40 Freeview digibox. Hopefully with this new release Warner Brothers will see fit to give the film, the full Special Edition treatment with a new transfer -- might I suggest they get Felt into a commentary studio pronto?

No comments: