Art I know how he feels. Really.

Cinemas I've always been divided in the multiplex debate. As these picture meccas are moving into the city centres, the original multi-screens are being squeezed out of the market place. I should be up in arms about this, but sadly I can't get too depressed over another Odeon closure. For some reason they've always offered an inferior product. The reason I travel all the way to Manchester to The Filmworks for anything good, is because the local city centre Odeon cinema in Liverpool is such a mess. The screens are too small, the Dolby Surround is frequently switched off, the seats are uncomfortable, the actual cinema screens themselves are often dirty with stains distractingly in the front middle, their adherence to the BBFC certificates is patchy at best, the seats are set out in some screens in such a way that you're sitting at an angle to watch the show even in the middle of the auditorium, and overall I sort of dread the experience. And this is after the refurbishment. When I saw 'The Avengers' at the Edinburgh cinema in this article in '99 all of the above was true. But despite my vitriol they article is worth a look for all of the sniping between the chains ...

No comments: