Paula Radcliffe Considering that I was volunteering at The Commonwealth Games, it was oddly difficult to see any of it. But I was home the night Radcliffe embarked on her attempt to win the Gold Medal in the 5000 metres, and it was the first time in a long while , found myself screaming at the television during a sporting event. Of course if the other runners had been giving way and letting her keep the inside lane she would have smashed the record, but this was competitive event and had to be seen on those terms. But as she stepped over the finishing line I was out of my chair anyway. It was the single most thrilling piece of long distance running I’d ever seen (and that includes Coe, Cram and Ovette run in the early Eighties). I’m happy to see the nation agreed with me. [profile, interview, related]

No comments: