Friday Five For a change ...

1. Were you raised in a particular religious faith?
My parents were Methodist influenced by we're supposed to be prodestants.

2. Do you still practice that faith? Why or why not?
I'm not a religious man. On the rare occasion anyone asks what I am, I tell them I'm a Non-denominational spiritualist, which is a nice catch-all term which gets a laugh and covers all the bases. What it actually mean, I think, is that believe there is an order to the universe, that everything happens for a reason, and that everyone has the right to look at it their own way as long as it doesn't impinge on their own freedom (which leaves the extremists out in the cold I'm afraid). The reason I believe this is because on a few occasions I have felt really awful. Suicidal perhaps on one occasion, my self-esteem as low as possible. On each of these occasions I seem to have met someone who has listened and made me feel that life isn't so bad, that in fact it is worth living. I've done it for other people. These aren't random things.

3. What do you think happens after death?
I'd like to think we all have somewhere to go. It would be a shame that all of our collective experiences mean nothing. But if there is darkness, what can we do about it. Death is the undiscovered country, after all.

4. What is your favorite religious ritual (participating in or just observing)?
When I was at school I was facinated with the way some born-again Christians were praying. Stoop somewhere look at the floor and mutter, If they were talking to God I hope he was there listening.

5. Do you believe people are basically good?
If they are, what makes them go out and do such terrible things sometimes. I think we're born bad and it's how we are brought up which has the potential to make us good people. Sometimes it works ...

No comments: